Thursday 14 August 2014

Introduction

Hi! My name is Samantha and I am a young female who has suffered from mental health issues and issues with our society (as many others have). This is a brief introduction to myself and what I hope to accomplish with this blog.

Well as I mentioned I am a young female with mental health issues, I have been diagnosed with Borderline Personality Disorder and Manic Depressive Disorder (aka Depression). Now depression is fairly straight forward, essentially it is being extremely sad with loss of hope, thoughts of suicide, sometimes self harm behaviours. Depression can be treated/helped with both therapy and medication. Borderline Personality Disorder is an emotional disorder. Since it is an emotional disorder there isn't really any chemical imbalance that just medication alone can fix. It can be cured (which is great news!), people are usually seen as cured when they are in their mid to late adult years. So BPD people feel emotions more deeply and they may resurge and persist for longer periods of time. We are very impulsive, our interpersonal relationships suffer a lot and are hard to maintain, we have suicidal thoughts and behvaiours. This is just the tip of the iceburg, if you want to know more you can check out the wikipedia description of it (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Borderline_personality_disorder#Signs_and_symptoms). Since I was diagnosed in 2011, I have come a long way. I still have bad days, but they are getting fewer and farther inbetween. I am currently practicing Buddhism to bring myself to the now and have better control over myself and my emotions/thoughts. Hopefully one day, I will be completely free of my BPD.

As a female I have faced many challenges such as discrimination and harassment. Daily I am catcalled, winked at, groped, or followed. I have been told that I "don't know what I am talking about because you're female" and I have been told that because I don't want kids I am "selfish, rude, stupid, etc" whereas my boyfriend gets the typical "well yah, I don't blame you!" conversation. I will explain why I don't want children but that will be for another blog.

My goals with this blog are to hopefully show people who suffer from mental illness that they are not alone and that seeking help is not a sign of weakness. Also I do hope to show people another side of mental health as our society (unfortunately) still sees mental health as devient and bad. I am always open to feedback and criticism (that is how you learn!). I am not a writer, my grammar and sentence structure sucks, but maybe one day I can write properly!

This will be a safe environment for anyone seeking help, guidance, or just a place to vent! However, I will NOT tolerate the following: bullying (including but not limited to: crude/sexual remarks, insults, threats, etc.), harassment (I respect that everyone has a right to their opinion, however if it begins to make others uncomfortable, then myself or any of the other people may ask you to stop, if it continues, you will be removed), violence towards others. I would appreciate if there are any conversations/comments you have you put *TRIGGER WARNING* then if someone is having a bad day they can prepare themselves. I will practice my right to ban, remove or report any comments/users that are unfriendly. I am always open to second chances, but you have to make the case on why I should give you a second chance.

Hopefully this page will be of service to people who need help or change :D

No comments:

Post a Comment